If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Request an Appointment

(661) 665-8950

Pet Poison Treatment at Our Bakersfield Vet Clinic

Pets are both naturally curious and naturally hungry -- and this can prove a deadly combination when pet poisons are nearby. Most households contain a variety of substances poisonous to pets, and swift action may be necessary to save your best friend from a case of poison ingestion. The good news is that your pet can receive this lifesaving pet poison treatment at our Bakersfield vet clinic, At The Oaks Pet Hospital.

Dog surrounded by poisonous foods

Know Your Pet Poisons

The first step in protecting your pet against common poisons is understanding which substances are poisonous to animals --and you may be surprised by just how many such substances your home contains. In addition to cleaning products, solvents, and other obvious culprits, your pet can be poisoned by medications that haven't been properly secured out of paw's reach. The insecticides you use on your lawn can be poisonous when wet, while garden favorites such as azaleas and Sago palm also contain toxins. A small, tempting puddle of antifreeze on your garage floor can prove highly poisonous. Even the human foods you eat with no ill effects can be hazardous to pets. Examples include chocolate, garlic, onions, grapes, raisins, and the sweetener xylitol.

It's also important for pet owners to recognize the symptoms of possible poison ingestion. Your pet may appear sluggish, confused, or unbalanced; he may even lose consciousness or go into seizures. Other warning signs include vomiting, diarrhea, an uneven heartbeat, significant bruising of the skin, or a bloody nose.

Our Animal Hospital Can Provide Emergency Care

Our animal hospital can provide immediate advice over the phone if you're worried that your pet may have ingested poison. We will ask you to bring a sample of the substance with you when you bring your pet to our clinic. Unless we instruct you otherwise, do not attempt to induce vomiting -- some poisons can do additional damage on their way back up the esophagus.

As soon as your pet arrives, our experienced team will check his vital signs and run laboratory tests. Depending on the poison in question, we may administer either an emetic (to make your pet throw up the poison) or an activated charcoal product (to neutralize the poison in the body). With the immediate danger taken care of, we can then nurse your pet back to health.

At The Oaks Pet Hospital Is Ready to Help

At The Oaks Pet Hospital is your trusted source for high-quality care, even in an emergency situation such as poison ingestion. Make sure you're ready to call (661) 665-8950 whenever your pet's health is endangered!

Go to top of page